My friends always laugh at me for having no sense of time when it comes to meals. I like to eat what I have a taste for whether it is morning or evening. I love a good restaurant but I am very picky and there are a couple of dishes I only eat when I prepare and grits are one of those dishes I can typically only enjoy at home. I hope you find this recipe tasty. Remember with all great cooks comes modification to taste. I provide the basics of what I enjoy but feel free to zest it up with your special flavors!
- Jumbo/Large Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- Easy melt cheese of your choice (Velveeta for me cheddar for my hubby)
- Garlic powder Or fresh garlic
- Cayenne pepper
- Black Pepper
- White Pepper (extra spice)
- Fresh basil
- Bring water to a boil for grits based on the instructions on the container and how many you are serving. Prepare as instructed.
- Add seasoning to the boiling water before adding grits, this will flavor the water and penetrate the grits.
- As the grits get thicker add cheese. If the grits are not as thin as you would like add water 1/4th a cup at a time until you have the consistency you desire.
- Heat a Skillet and add Ghee based on how buttery you like your shrimp.
- If using fresh garlic add it to the Ghee in the skillet
- Add all seasoning to a large bowl and stir for shrimp
- Dip each shrimp in the seasoning mix and add to the skillet
- Cook until shrimp is pink and firm, flip on each side for at least 5 minutes
Plate your grits and shrimp and bon apetite!